The data in this section refers to number of appointments. As stated earlier, synchronous appointments (and the number of students scheduling them) have significantly increased from previous semesters. We have had 11 students with multiple synchronous appointments over the course of the semester.
Image Description. Figure 15 is an infographic with 3 icons beside statistics. The icons have white clip-art on a red background. The data is as follows:
- 61 synchronous appointments (icon with overlapping chat bubbles)
- 42 students (icon with upper half of person’s body)
- 11 recurring appointments (icon with curved arrow moving clockwise).
Best Times of Day
Synchronous appointments have likely increased due to allowing on-campus students to schedule in this medium and by scheduling more online hours at night (5-9pm). We have increased our online night hours by 10% since 2015-16.
Synchronous appointments occurred almost equally at night (49%) and during the afternoon (51%), with 7pm and 3pm being the most popular. When compared to asynchronous appointments, night hours were 12% more likely to be used for synchronous appointments. One online consultant working night shifts did more synchronous appointments (59%) than asynchronous, and another night-shift consultant was scheduled with nearly equal synchronous (49%) and asynchronous (51%) appointments.
Student data for these times also shows that night hours are more likely to be used for synchronous appointments by students in online courses (72%), part-time students (76%), and graduate students (66%). However, afternoon hours are more likely to be used by students in on-campus courses (63%), full-time students (65%), and undergraduate students (73%). As such, if we want to expand our synchronous services, I suggest concentrating our online hours within the 3-9pm range and offering more hours at 8pm, to accommodate those in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones.
Image Description. Figure 11 is an infographic with a vertical bar graph above two pie graphs. The bar graph shows that 31 synchronous appointments occurred between 12-5pm and 30 synchronous appointments occurred between 5-9pm. The pie graphs show that 40% of afternoon online appointments were synchronous while 52% of night online appointments were synchronous.
The majority of synchronous appointments are with graduate students and full-time students (Figure 12). Most appointments are also for on-campus courses, although the most common course subject is still Project Dragonfly (Figure 13). Appointments are almost equally with students in Oxford and outside of Oxford (Figure 13), but an overwhelming majority (79%) are with students in the Eastern Time Zone.
Image Description. Figure 12 is an infographic with 2 icons beside statistics for synchronous appointments. The icons have white clip-art on a red background. The data is as follows:
- Rank (graduation cap icon)
- Masters: 29 appointments (48%)
- Undergraduate: 26 appointments (43%)
- Doctoral: 6 appointments (9%)
- Enrollment Status (clock icon)
- Full-Time: 40 appointments (66%)
- Part-Time: 21 appointments (34%)
Image Description. Figure 13 is an infographic with 6 icons beside statistics for synchronous appointments. The icons have white clip-art on a red background. The data is as follows:
- Associated Campus (building icon)
- Oxford: 33 appointments (54%)
- Online: 21 appointments (34%)
- Middletown: 3 appointments (5%)
- West Chester: 3 appointments (5%)
- Hamilton: 1 appointment (2%)
- Type of Course (laptop icon)
- On-Campus (Oxford): 30 appointments (49%)
- Online: 22 appointments (36%)
- Not Applicable: 5 appointments (8%)
- On-Campus (Regionals): 3 appointments (5%)
- Partially Online: 1 appointment (2%)
- Course Subjects
- Project Dragonfly (dragonfly icon): 22 appointments (36%)
- English (pen icon): 16 appointments (26%)
- Gerontology (hourglass icon): 7 appointments (11%)
- Not for Course (“x” icon): 5 appointments (8%)
Image Description. Figure 14 is an infographic with 2 icons beside statistics for synchronous appointments in bulleted lists. The icons have white clip-art on a red background. Student locations are indicated by a globe icon. The data is as follows:
- Oxford: 31 appointments (51%)
- Outside Oxford: 30 appointments (49%)
- Other States: 20 appointments (67%)
- Other Ohio Cities: 10 appointments (33%)
Student time zones are indicated by a clock icon. The data appears in a bulleted list and is as follows:
- Eastern: 48 appointments (79%)
- Other Zones: 13 appointments (21%)
- Mountain: 6 appointments (10%)
- Central: 4 appointments (7%)
- Pacific: 3 appointments (5%)